Burger Al Pastor
- 6 dried guajillo chiles, stemmed, seeded and soaked
- 2 teaspoons crumbled dried marjoram
- 2 teaspoons crumbled dried oregano
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 small white onion, chopped, divided
- 1/2 cup sweetened pineapple juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 pounds extra-lean ground pork
- Vegetable oil
- 1 pineapple, peeled, cored and sliced into 1/2-inch thick rounds
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 8 sesame seed hamburger buns
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat.
Divide the pork mixture into 8 equal portions. Shape each portion into a 1/2-inch thick patty.
Oil the grill pan. Working in batches, grill the burgers until cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes per side. Transfer the burgers to a plate and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm. Let rest for about 8 minutes.
Meanwhile, brush the grill pan with oil and grill the pineapple slices until golden brown, 2 minutes per side.
Place a burgers onto the bottom half of the bun. Top with a slice of grilled pineapple, some cilantro and the remaining chopped onion. Cover with the bun tops and serve.
Recipe courtesy Marcela Valladolid