Shredded Spicy Chicken Tostadas (Tinga)
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 medium white onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 ounces raw pork chorizo
- 1/2 large white onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tomatoes (about 1 pound), boiled 30 seconds, peeled and seeded
- 1 cup chopped tomatillos (husked and rinsed first)
- 2 tablespoons pureed chipotle
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon crumbled dried Mexican oregano
- 1 sprig fresh marjoram
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 10 store-bought tostadas
For the chicken: Place the chicken, peppercorns, salt, garlic, bay leaf and onion in a large heavy saucepan with 6 cups of water. Bring to a boil over high heat, and then reduce to a simmer over medium-low heat for 20 minutes. Turn the heat off and remove the chicken from the liquid. Reserve the broth for later use. Using 2 forks or clean hands, shred the chicken into a bowl and set aside.
For the tinga: In a large heavy saute pan, cook the chorizo over medium heat until fully cooked, about 6 minutes. Add the onions and saute until translucent and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatillos and cook for 1 minute. Add the chipotle, salt, pepper, Mexican oregano and the sprigs of marjoram and thyme. Add the shredded chicken. Continue cooking for another 3 minutes. Add between 1/2 cup and 1 cup of the chicken cooking liquid, depending on the thickness of the sauce. Cook for 5 more minutes. Remove the marjoram and thyme sprigs.
To assemble: Place 2 tablespoons of tinga on each tostada. Serve immediately.