Sweet and Easy Pineapple Empanadas
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1 (1-pound) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1/3 cup cajeta or thick caramel sauce
- 1/2 cup finely grated Monterrey jack cheese
- 1/4 cup pineapple, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch cubes (about 1 cup)
- 2 eggs, beaten and blended with 1 tablespoon water
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- 2 tablespoons demarara or light brown sugar
- Special equipment: a 3-inch round cookie cutter or a clean 3-inch diameter can with the top removed
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Unfold 1sheet of puff pastry on lightly floured surface. Using a 3-inch cookie cutter or a 3-inch diameter can with the top removed, cut out 9 circles of dough. Repeat with the remaining puff pastry sheet. Put a scant teaspoon of cajeta in center of each round. Top each with a sprinkling of grated cheese and 3 or 4 pieces of pineapple. Brush the edge of each circle with the egg mixture and enclose each empanada into a half moon. Crimp the edges with fork. Transfer to prepared baking sheet and brush each empanada with the egg mixture. Crimp edges with fork.Transfer the empanadas to the prepared baking sheet and brush them with the egg mixture. Sprinkle with demarara sugar and bake until golden brown, about 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer the empanadas to a serving platter and serve warm.
Recipe courtesy of Marcela Valladolid