Black Bean Brownies
- Butter, for greasing pan
- 3/4 cup cooked black beans
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil, or olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee or espresso
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips, divided
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar, for dusting
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 by 9-inch square baking pan.
In a blender, puree the beans with the oil. Add the eggs, cocoa, sugar, coffee, and vanilla. Melt half the chocolate chips and add to the blender. Blend on medium-high until smooth. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to the blender and pulse until just incorporated. Stir in the remaining chocolate chips. Pour into the prepared pan. Bake until the surface looks somewhat matte around the edges and still a bit shiny in the middle, about 20 minutes. Let cool at least 15 minutes before cutting and removing from the pan. Dust with confectioners' sugar and serve.
Cook's Note: Place a small cutout or stencil on the brownie before dusting to make a design.
Recipe courtesy Melissa d'Arabian
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse