Citrus Trio Butter Dipping Cookies
- Vegan Variation:
- 1 cup margarine (2 sticks), cool but not straight from the fridge
- 4 ounces vegan cream cheese, cool but not straight from the fridge
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Dash salt
- Finely grated zest from 1 lime
- Finely grated zest from 1 orange
- Finley grated zest from 1 1emon
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Add the margarine, vegan cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla to the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat on medium-high speed until creamy, about 1 minute. (The mixture will look a little separated at this point. No worries, it comes together - scrape down the sides of the bowl.)
In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. On the lowest speed, gradually add the flour mixture into the butter mixture, just until blended. Divide the batter into 3 bowls, and gently stir in the different zests among the bowls, making 3 citrus flavored batters.
Scrape each batter into a pastry bag fitted with a 1/4-inch tip, or a sturdy plastic bag with the corner snipped off. Pipe 2-inch long strips about 2-inches apart on a cold unlined baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, or until golden brown. Repeat with the other batches.
Remove from the oven and let cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before removing with a spatula to cool completely on baking rack. Serve with tea or coffee, or just nibble...addictive!
*Note: This recipe has been updated as of December 8, 2009.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.