Asparagus with Cambozola Sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds asparagus, ends trimmed and peeled
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Gray salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 pound Cambozola cheese, broken into pieces
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped thyme leaves
- 1/2 loaf day-old bread, cut into cubes
Fill a deep frying pan halfway full with water and bring to a boil. Add asparagus to the boiling water and add salt and olive oil; boil for 6 minutes. Remove asparagus to a sheet pan or plate to cool, and place in the refrigerator for 5 to 10 minutes. Then chop into bite-size pieces, perfect for dipping.
Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and saute for about 1 minute. Add cream and simmer until reduced by half. Season with salt and pepper. Add cheese, bit by bit, whisking as you go. As 1 piece melts, add another, until no cheese remains. Then add thyme and stir to combine. Serve with cubes of day-old bread and the cooled asparagus pieces.