- Butter, for brushing pie tin
- Cornmeal, for sprinkling
- Pie dough (store bought, about 6 large pieces of dough)
- 1/4 cup Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 medium-sized round vine ripened tomatoes, sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh mozzarella, cut into 1/3-inch slices
- 10 basil leaves, for garnish
Special equipment: 12 individual tartlet pans with removable bottoms
Preheat oven on to 375 degrees F.
To assemble tartlets: Take the tart pans and brush with butter and liberally sprinkle with cornmeal. Roll out dough to 1/8-inch thickness and cut into 12 individual tarts. Dough circles should be larger than the pan to fit properly.
Lay the dough rounds in the pans and press down to fill in the corners. Trim excess dough.
Brush bottoms of dough shell with olive oil and sprinkle with the cheese. Bake for 6 minutes until bottom is cooked but blonde.
Sprinkle the tomato slices with salt. Layer the tomato slices and mozzarella slices into the pan, overlapping the pieces in a circle, until all the ingredients are used. Season with salt and pepper. Bake tarts for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool. Right before serving, garnish top with torn basil. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Recipe courtesy Michael Chiarello