Couscous Salad with Honey Vinaigrette
- 4 cups water
- Sea salt, preferably gray salt
- 1 1/2 cups couscous
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound summer squash, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh lemon thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup white raisins
- 1 pound English cucumber, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup fresh arugula, chiffonade
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted in 350 degree F oven for 10 minutes
Bring 4 cups water and 1 teaspoon salt to a boil. Gradually add the couscous. Return to a boil and let cook for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover, and let stand for 3 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a saute pan, heat the olive oil. Add cubed squash. Season with salt and pepper. Saute, stirring often, for about 4 minutes, or until caramelized and crispy. Add the fresh lemon thyme and set aside.For the dressing:
Fluff the couscous with a fork.
Place the arugula in a serving bowl. Toss with the warm squash, couscous, cucumber and 2 tablespoons of the toasted almonds. Add enough dressing to coat the salad. Season with salt and pepper, and top with the remaining 1 tablespoon of almonds.
Serves:6; Calories: 362; Total Fat: 18 grams; Saturated Fat: 2.5 grams; Protein: 6 grams; Total carbohydrates: 46 grams; Sugar: 15 grams; Fiber: 4 grams; Cholesterol: 0 milligrams; Sodium: 294 milligrams
Recipe courtesy Michael Chiarello, 2007
Recipe courtesy of Dave Lieberman
Recipe courtesy of Sandra Lee