Mozzarella Stuffed Portobellos
- 12 large portobello mushrooms, stemmed and gills removed
- 6 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Sea salt, preferably gray salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- 4 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley leaves
- 4 tablespoons freshly chopped basil leaves
- 12 (1/2-inch) slices fresh mozzarella, roughly 1 to 1 1/2-ounces per slice
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Toss the portabellas in the balsamic vinegar, 1/4 cup of olive oil, gray salt and pepper, to taste. Arrange the mushrooms on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool to room temperature.
While the mushrooms are cooling mix together the bread crumbs, Parmesan, herbs and the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil.
Place 1 slice (2 if the mushrooms are large) of mozzarella in the cupped side of each mushroom. Distribute the bread and herb mixture evenly over the mushrooms and return to the oven to roast for 5 to 6 minutes or until the mozzarella is molten and the bread and herb topping a nice golden brown. Serve either hot or at room temperature and enjoy.
Recipe courtesy Michael Chiarello, 2007
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay