- 4 pounds skirt steak or flank steak
- 4 medium onions, coarsely chopped and separated into 2 parts
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 3 celery stalk, coarsely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 jalapenos, minced
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 10 fresh plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped or 2 cans chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
In a large stock pot, put in the meat, 2 chopped onions, carrot, celery and bay leaf. Cover with water by 2 inches. Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
When meat is very tender, turn off heat and let meat cool in liquid for 20 min, remove from broth. Set aside. Discard vegetables and strain broth through a sieve. Return broth to heat, and boil to reduce by half, about 20 to 30 minutes. When meat is cool, cut off any fat and pull into shreds about 2 inches wide.
While broth is reducing, heat oil in a large skillet. Over medium heat, cook the remaining half of onions, the garlic, jalapenos, green peppers and 1 tablespoon salt until softened, about 10 minutes. Stir in 1 tablespoon of salt.
Stir in 3 cups reduced broth and tomatoes. Cook for 10 minutes over medium heat. Stir in shredded meat, parsley, oregano, and cumin. Cook 10 minutes more.
Serve with white rice.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.