- 4 pounds skirt steak or flank steak
- 4 medium onions, coarsely chopped and separated into 2 parts
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 3 celery stalk, coarsely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 jalapenos, minced
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 10 fresh plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped or 2 cans chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
In a large stock pot, put in the meat, 2 chopped onions, carrot, celery and bay leaf. Cover with water by 2 inches. Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
When meat is very tender, turn off heat and let meat cool in liquid for 20 min, remove from broth. Set aside. Discard vegetables and strain broth through a sieve. Return broth to heat, and boil to reduce by half, about 20 to 30 minutes. When meat is cool, cut off any fat and pull into shreds about 2 inches wide.
While broth is reducing, heat oil in a large skillet. Over medium heat, cook the remaining half of onions, the garlic, jalapenos, green peppers and 1 tablespoon salt until softened, about 10 minutes. Stir in 1 tablespoon of salt.
Stir in 3 cups reduced broth and tomatoes. Cook for 10 minutes over medium heat. Stir in shredded meat, parsley, oregano, and cumin. Cook 10 minutes more.
Serve with white rice.