- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 red onion, small diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 red peppers, diced
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons chipotle powder
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 pound smoked beef brisket, diced
- 1 quart smoked tomatoes
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, leaves chopped
- Sour cream and shredded Cheddar, for garnish
Saute onions, garlic, and peppers until tender in canola oil with salt in an 8-quart cast enamel pan over medium-high heat. Add spices and cook for 1 more minute. Add meat and tomatoes, lower the heat to medium or medium-low and simmer for 2 hours. Remove from heat and add cilantro.
Serve in soup bowls and top with sour cream and cheddar cheese for garnish.