- 3 tablespoons light oil or olive oil
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 to 3 cans chopped plum tomatoes (32 to 48 ounces total)
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley leaves
- 4 pounds fresh mussels, debearded, scrubbed and rinsed
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil leaves
- Pasta, as an accompaniment or bruschetta for dipping
Heat the oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute until cooked. Add the wine and reduce it by half, then add the plum tomatoes, oregano and parsley. Add the mussels to the pan and allow to cook for about 10 minutes until all the mussels are open. Transfer mussels to a platter. (Discard any mussels that do not open.)
Adjust the seasoning for the sauce with salt and pepper, as necessary. Coat the mussels with the sauce and sprinkle with fresh chopped basil just before serving.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.