Cheesy Rice Ball Fritters
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces ham steak, diced into chunks
- 2 cups cooked long-grain white rice
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped parsley leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- Peanut oil, for frying
Preheat a deep-fryer to 375 degrees F.
Saute the shallot and garlic with the butter in a saute pan over medium heat. Add the ham, cook until lightly crisp and then stir in the rice.
Mix the ham mixture, cream cheese, Parmesan, mozzarella, and parsley together in a large mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Roll the mixture into 2-inch balls and put on a baking sheet.
Add the flour, beaten eggs, and panko to separate pie plates. Season the panko with salt and pepper. Roll the balls through the flour, then the egg and then the panko. Gently add the fritters to the deep-fryer and fry until golden and crisp, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer the fritters to a serving platter and serve.