Smoked Sausage Jambalaya
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound smoked sausage, sliced into circles
- 1 large Vidalia onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (14-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken to the Dutch oven and brown on each side, about 8 minutes total. Remove to a plate and reserve.
Add sausage, onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic, and thyme and saute until translucent and sausage is browned, about 8 minutes.
Stir in rice, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, broth, bay leaf, and reserved chicken, and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, and cook on low, covered, for 20 minutes.
Turn off heat and let rice stand, covered, 5 minutes. Remove bay leaf. Fluff rice with fork and stir in green onions and parsley.
Recipe courtesy of the Neelys