- 1 (5-ounce) raw boneless, skinless lean chicken breast cutlet, pounded to 1/2-inch thickness
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, plus more for seasoning tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder, plus more for seasoning tomatoes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons diced onion
- 1 stick light string cheese
- 1/4 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 4 slices turkey pepperoni, chopped
- 1 teaspoon reduced-fat Parmesan-style grated topping
- Crushed red pepper, for serving, optional
- Fresh oregano leaves, for serving, optional
Season chicken with garlic powder, onion powder, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and black pepper. Set aside.
Bring 2 skillets sprayed with nonstick spray to medium heat on the stove. In one skillet, cook bell pepper, mushrooms, and onion until softened, 4 to 6 minutes.
In the other skillet, cook chicken until cooked through, about 3 minutes per side.
Cook's Note: Alternatively, use one skillet and cook the veggies and chicken consecutively.
Place crushed tomatoes in a small bowl and season to taste with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Evenly spoon seasoned tomatoes onto chicken in skillet. Tear string cheese into pieces and place over the tomatoes.
Top chicken with vegetables and turkey pepperoni. Cover with a lid and continue to cook until the cheese softens, 1 to 2 minutes.
PER SERVING (entire recipe): 282 calories, 5.75g fat, 868mg sodium, 10g carbs, 2g fiber, 4.5g sugars, 44g protein