Popovers Stuffed with Crab, Avocado and Mango Chopped Salad
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 cup whole milk, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted, cooled
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 medium orange, zested
- 1 lime, zested
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon creme fraiche
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup safflower oil
- 1 pound fresh lump crabmeat, patted dry, cubed if large
- 1 cup chopped radicchio or 1 cup chopped red Belgian endive
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 large avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, diced
- One 1-pound mango, peeled, seeded, diced
For the popovers: Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 6-count popover pan, six 1 cup ceramic souffle dishes, glass custard cups, or muffin cups with vegetable oil cooking spray.
In a blender, combine the milk, flour, butter, sugar, salt, ginger and eggs and blend until smooth. Scrape down the sides and blend until the batter is very smooth. Divide the batter equally among the prepared dishes, about 1/3 cup each.
Bake the popovers without opening the oven door, until puffed and deep brown, 35 to 40 minutes.
For the salad: While the popovers bake, in a large bowl, combine the orange and lime zest, orange and lime juices, creme fraiche, salt and pepper. Gradually whisk in the oil. Add the crabmeat, radicchio, onions, avocado and mango. Toss until combined.
When the popovers are baked through, remove the popovers from the oven. Twist each out of its dish and cool on a wire rack.
Place the popovers on a platter. Using a serrated knife, remove the tops of the popovers. Using a large spoon, fill each popover with the salad, mounding in the center. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis