Pork Tamales: Tamales de Puerco
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1 cup masa harina
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless pork shoulder, cut in small pieces
- Olive oil, for frying
- 1 Spanish onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup peeled and crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Salt and pepper
- 12 banana leaves or cornhusks (soaked in water before using)
Slice corn off the cob. Grind in a food processor until it becomes coarse. Remove and blend with masa harina and water. Fry the pork in a little olive oil. Add onions, peppers, chile, and garlic, cook until the onions are translucent. Add tomatoes and wine. Add the pork and vegetables to the corn mixture. Season with lemon, salt, and pepper.
Take two husks or banana leaves, and overlap them flat on the table. Put some of the corn mixture in the center of the husk. Fold the corn husks over and around the meat. Tie with string. Cook in a steamer for 45 minutes.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.