Potato Pea Curry
- 3 large baking potatoes, peeled
- 1/2 cup clarified butter (ghee)
- 2 large onions, diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1/2 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 3 cups chicken stock or water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups fresh or frozen peas, thawed
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 bunch cilantro, leaves roughly chopped
Cut the potatoes into 1/2-inch dice. To remove the excess starch, place the potatoes in a bowl and rinse with cold running water until the water runs clear. Drain well.
Heat 1/4 cup clarified butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Saute the onions until they are brown. At the same time, heat the remaining clarified butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Fry the potatoes until they are golden and add sauteed onions.
Add the garlic and ginger, and cook just long enough to release their aromas, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the cumin, turmeric, coriander, and pepper flakes. Return the pan to medium heat. Stir in the tomatoes, chicken stock or water, and salt.
Simmer, uncovered, until the potatoes are soft, about 15 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and cook until the peas are heated through. Adjust the seasonings and serve immediately.