Asian Hot-Sweet Pickle Salad
- 6 small Kirby cucumbers, sliced on an angle or, 1 large seedless cucumber, thinly sliced on an angle
- 1 small bunch scallions, cut into long, thin slices on an angle
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 red chile pepper, thinly sliced on an angle
- 1/4 cup chopped dill leaves
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tamari sauce
Layer the cucumbers, scallions, bay, chile pepper and dill in a storage container with a tight fitting lid.
In a small saucepan over low heat add the sugar, vinegar and soy sauce. Simmer until the sugar dissolves. Pour the hot brine into the cucumber mixture and cover with a lid. Let marinate for 10 minutes. Stir the mixture every few minutes.
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray