Asparagus and Plum Tomato Pizza
- 1/2 pound thin asparagus spears
- 1 (12-inch) packaged prepared foccacia
- 1 cup prepared pesto sauce, store-bought or homemade, recipe follows
- 1/2 pound Fontina, diced into small cubes, about 1 1/2 cups
- 1 firm plum tomato, seeded and diced
- 2 cups fresh basil, packed
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- Fresh black pepper
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Trim tough ends off asparagus, leaving 4 or 5-inch long tender tops of spears. Place tops in a small skillet in 1/2-inch of boiling water. Cover the pan and steam asparagus for 2 minutes. Run asparagus under cool water and drain well. Cut spears into 1-inch pieces on the diagonal.
Bake directly on oven rack or on a perforated pizza pan. Bake foccacia pie for 10 minutes in preheated oven on middle rack or, until the cheese melts and edges of your pizza are crisp and dark golden in color.Pesto:
Combine basil, pine nuts, and garlic in a food processor with a drizzle of the olive oil. Blend coarsely, stopping from time to time to scrape down the sides. Place in small bowl, and stir in the remaining olive oil (as needed), Parmesan, and pepper, to taste.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray