Chicken in Romanesco Sauce
- 2 red bell peppers (or 1 red and 1 yellow)
- 1/2 cup Marcona almonds or blanched raw almonds
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- 2 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 Fresno chile pepper
- 1/2 red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large heirloom tomato
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
Char the bell peppers under a broiler or over a gas flame, turning occasionally. Place the peppers in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let cool. Peel off the charred skin and remove the seeds.
Meanwhile, toast the almonds in a pan or in the oven until golden, then let cool.
Place the roasted bell peppers in a food processor along with the almonds, chicken stock, parsley, lemon and orange zest and juice, the garlic, chile pepper and red onion. Grate the tomato on the large holes of a box grater. Discard the skin and add the tomato pulp to the food processor. Puree until smooth.
Meanwhile, heat the EVOO in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the chicken with paprika, salt and pepper and cook until browned, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Add the sherry to the skillet and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom with a wooden spoon. Stir in the roasted pepper sauce, reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, until the chicken is cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer the chicken to plates and spoon the sauce over top.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray