Chicken with Roasted Red Pepper, Chorizo and Sweet Pea Sauce over Rice
By keeping a well stocked pantry, you can make this recipe picking up as little as just 3 items at the store: chicken, chorizo and romaine[ hearts. Every other ingredient in this menu is a good example of ingredients you can always keep on hand, replenishing them every 3 to 4 weeks.]
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion, chopped, divided
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups white rice
- 3 cups chicken stock, divided
- 4 (6-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika, 1/2 a palm full
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme, 1/3 of a palm full
- 3/4 pound chorizo sausage, in packaged meats case near kielbasa, cut in 1/2 lengthwise then thinly sliced
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small carrot, peeled and grated
- 2 roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1 (10-ounce) box frozen peas
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley, a generous handful
Heat a medium size saucepot over medium heat with 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil, about 1 tablespoon, and the butter. Add 1/4 of the chopped onion and season with salt and pepper, cook for about 1 minute, add the rice and stir to coat in the oil. Add 2 1/2 cups of chicken stock to the rice and bring up to a boil. Cover the pot, reduce heat to simmer and cook rice for 15 to 18 minutes or until tender and cooked through.
While the rice is cooking, start the chicken. Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat with about 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil. Season the chicken breasts with smoked paprika, salt, pepper and the thyme; add the seasoned chicken to the skillet. Cook breasts 5 to 6 minutes on each side or, until cooked through.
Remove the chicken from the skillet to a plate and loosely cover with aluminum foil. Return the skillet to the stove top and over medium-high heat add chorizo, cook for 2 minutes stirring frequently. Add the remaining onion, garlic, grated carrot, and roasted red pepper to the chorizo and season with a little salt and pepper. Cook until the onions are slightly tender, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of chicken stock, scrape up any bits that have stuck to the bottom of the pan. Add the frozen peas and parsley; continue to cook for 1 to 2 minutes to heat the peas through. Taste and adjust seasonings with a little salt and pepper.
To serve, arrange the chicken breasts on dinner plates and top with lots of sauce. Fluff the rice with a fork and serve alongside.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.