Chorizo Stew with Kale
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus some for drizzling
- One 12- to 16-ounce package Spanish chorizo, halved and cut into 1-inch half moons
- 2 large or 3 medium starchy potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters lengthwise and then 1-inch slices
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika (1/3 palmful)
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large onion, quartered lengthwise then sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 bundle Tuscan kale, stemmed and thinly sliced or chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- One 28-ounce can stewed tomatoes
- One 14.5-ounce can chickpeas, drained
- 4 Portuguese rolls, toasted
Heat the oil in a soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the chorizo and render 2 to 3 minutes, then remove to a plate. Add the potatoes, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and cook partially covered until lightly browned, a few minutes. Add the paprika, garlic, bay leaves and onions, and cook 5 minutes more stirring occasionally. Wilt the kale into the pot, then add the stock, tomatoes and chickpeas. Add the chorizo back to the pot. Bring the soup to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes or so. Serve with the Portuguese rolls drizzled with some oil.
Get Rachael's shopping list for this episode's recipes here.