Country French Chicken
- 2 tablespoons (2 turns around the pan in a slow stream) extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and pepper
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, thighs, or combination of both, cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 3 small carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 10 creminis, finely chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh tarragon, leaves removed and chopped to about 2 tablespoons
- A handful flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 (32-ounce) can chunky-style crushed tomatoes or diced tomatoes in puree
- Herb and Butter Noodles, as an accompaniment
- Sugar snap peas, as an accompaniment
- Herb and Butter Egg Noodles:
- 1/2 pound extra-wide egg noodles,cooked until just tender, about 6 minutes
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small bits
- 2 sprigs fresh tarragon, leaves removed and chopped to about 1 tablespoon
- A handful flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped to about 2 tablespoons
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Steamed Snap Peas:
- 1 1/2 pounds snap peas, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon (a couple of pinches) salt
In a large skillet over medium high heat, warm the olive oil. Season the chicken, brown it in the oil for 2 or 3 minutes on each side, and remove to a plate.
Return pan to stove and reduce heat to medium. Add butter to the pan and saute the shallots, carrots, and mushrooms. Saute for 3 to 5 minutes until mushrooms darken and carrot bits are fork tender. Add tarragon and parsley and stir. Add wine and reduce liquid for 1 or 2 minutes. Add tomatoes to the sauce and stir to combine. Add chicken back to the pan and simmer chicken in sauce for 6 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear.
Serve chicken with Herb and Butter Noodles and Sugar Snap Peas.Herb and Butter Egg Noodles:
Toss the cooked egg noodles with butter bits and herbs in a bowl until butter melts, about 1 minute. Season noodles with salt and pepper. Yield: 4 servingsSteamed Snap Peas:
Place snap peas in 1/2-inch boiling water with butter and a sprinkle of 1 teaspoon sugar. Reduce heat to simmer. Cover and steam snap peas 3 minutes. Remove cover and season snap peas with a little salt. Serve cooked snap peas with slotted spoon to allow for draining.
Yield: 4 servings
Thank you! your flag was submitted.