Greek Mixed Grill Kabobs and Pine Nut-Orzo Salad
- 1/2 pound orzo
- 4 cloves garlic, grated or minced
- 4 sprigs fresh oregano, leaves stripped and finely chopped
- 6 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves stripped and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup green olive tapenade
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 lemons, juiced and 1 zested
- 1/3 plus 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds firm white flesh fish, halibut or swordfish, cut into 12 (2-inch) chunks
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 12 (2-inch) chunks
- Black pepper
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 cup feta cheese crumbles
- 8 Greek hot peppers, for garnish
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, for garnish
- 2 tomatoes, diced, for garnish
- 1/2 cucumber, diced, for garnish
Preheat grill pan or outdoor grill to medium high.
Place a pot of water on the stove and bring to a boil for the pasta salad. When the water boils, salt it and cook the pasta to al dente.
While the pasta works, in a small bowl combine the garlic, oregano, rosemary, tapenade, red pepper flakes, 1 tablespoon lemon zest and the juice of 1 lemon with about 1/3 cup EVOO. Place the fish and chicken in separate shallow dishes or bowls and season with salt and pepper then divide the dressing between the bowls and coat the fish and chicken evenly. Skewer the fish and chicken on metal skewers. Grill the chicken 10 to 12 minutes until firm and juices run clear, and the fish for about 6 to 8 minutes, turning the kabobs frequently.
Drain orzo and combine with pine nuts, onions, parsley, feta crumbles, the juice of 1 lemon, about 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. Serve the orzo salad with 3 pieces each of chicken and fish along side. Garnish plates with a couple of hot peppers, olives, tomatoes and cucumbers on each plate.
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray