Grilled Eggplant Panini with Cambozola Blue Cheese, Prosciutto and Arugula
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 small-medium firm eggplant, 8 slices 1/2-inch thick
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 large pitas or flat breads, halved across
- 2/3 pound wedge blue cheese, 8 slices (recommended: Cambozola)
- 8 slices prosciutto
- 1 cup packed baby arugula
Heat grill pan to medium-high.
Heat the olive oil in small pot over medium heat with garlic and rosemary to infuse flavor, 3 to 4 minutes.
Brush eggplant with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, grill 2 to 3 minutes on each side to tenderize. Remove from heat.
Make sandwiches on split flat breads of 2 slices each eggplant, blue cheese, prosciutto and a handful of arugula.
Heat a dry skillet over medium heat. Choose a second skillet that can fit down inside the first and get a few heavy cans ready to weight skillets. When pan is hot, add 1 flat bread, weight down with second skillet and cans and cook 1 minute, flip, cook a minute more. Repeat process with remaining ingredients and serve.
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray, 2008
Grilled Eggplant and Fresh Mozzarella on Ciabatta with Roasted Red Peppers, Garlic Mayonnaise, Fresh Basil and Arugula
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay