- 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds fresh halibut, cut into 4 servings, 4 to 6 ounces each, 1-inch thick
- Vegetable or olive oil, for drizzling
- 2 teaspoons crab boil seasoning (recommended: Old Bay)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 cup mayonnaise or reduced fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 dill or half-sour pickle, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped dill
- 10 blades fresh chives, chopped or 2 thin scallions thinly sliced
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Few drops cayenne pepper sauce
- 4 crusty rolls, split
- 1 large ripe tomato, sliced
- 4 leaves green leaf or Boston lettuce
- Asparagus Salad, recipe follows
- 1 bag gourmet chips, preferred brand Terra chips in Yukon Gold Onion and Garlic flavor
Preheat nonstick or well-seasoned cast iron grill pan over medium high heat. Drizzle halibut pieces with oil, then season with crab boil seasoning, salt and pepper. Grill on a hot pan 4 or 5 minutes on each side.
Place melted butter in a small dish and add juice of 1/2 lemon.
Combine all ingredients for the tartar sauce in a small bowl.
Lightly toast buns on grill pan after fish is removed.
To assemble, brush bun bottoms and fish with lemon butter. Top fish with tomato and lettuce and slather the bun tops with tartar sauce, then serve. Serve with Asparagus salad and fancy chips.
Asparagus Pasta Salad:
1 small shallot or 1/2 large shallot, finely chopped
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, eyeball it
1 pound asparagus, thin spears
2 endive, cored and thinly sliced
1/2 small red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup frozen green peas
1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley, a couple of handfuls
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat shallot and oil in microwave safe covered dish for 30 seconds or in a small pan on the stovetop over medium low heat for 5 minutes. Allow oil to cool back to room temperature.
Hold a spear of asparagus at each end and snap it. The spear breaks where the tender tops meet the tough bottoms. Line the broken spear up with the bundle of cleaned asparagus. Cut the spears using the guideline of the snapped spear. Par boil the asparagus tops in 1 inch simmering water covered for 3 to 5 minutes. Cool under cold running water and drain. Cut asparagus into 1-inch pieces on an angle and add to a bowl. Combine chopped, cooked asparagus with shredded endive, red bell pepper, cooked pasta, green peas and chopped parsley. The peas will defrost as you toss salad. Pour vinegar into a small bowl and whisk in cooled shallot oil. Pour dressing over salad and toss. Season salad with salt and pepper, to your taste and toss again.
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes, overlapping, including pasta
Ease of preparation: easy