Grilled Veal or Pork Chops with Marsala Fig Sauce, Lemon-Ricotta Orzo, Celery and Mushroom Salad
- 1/2 pound orzo
- 4 (1 1/2-inch thick) bone-in veal or pork chops
- 6 teaspoons grill seasoning
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 16 dried figs, coarsely chopped
- 2/3 cup marsala wine
- 4 to 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 heart celery, thinly sliced on an angle, 3 to 4 cups
- 4 large portabella mushroom caps, thinly sliced
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley leaves
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- 2 lemons, zest and juice divided
- Parmigianino Reggiano, for shaving
- 1 box frozen peas
- A handful of flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
Heat the water to a boil for pasta. Season the water with salt and cook pasta to al dente. Heads up: you will need to add 1 box of peas the last minute of cooking time to the water.
Pat chops dry. Mix the grill seasoning, seeds and coriander and rub the mixture into the chops.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
In a small pot over medium low heat combine the figs, Marsala and thyme. Season with some black pepper and gently reduce 15 minutes.
Heat about 2 tablespoons of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. When oil smokes, sear chops 2 minutes on each side and transfer to oven for 10 minutes.
Slice the celery and mushrooms and combine with parsley.
In a pasta bowl, combine the zest of 2 lemons with ricotta cheese, salt and pepper.
Add peas to orzo, cook 1 minute. Drain the orzo and peas and add to the lemon ricotta. Toss to combine and adjust salt and pepper, to taste.
Serve chops with figs on top and ricotta orzo and celery and mushroom salad along side.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray, 2007
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray