Ham and Spinach Hash with Fried Eggs
This is a B, L or D: Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner recipe. The portions can easily be adjusted, up or down in number. The fresh spinach and[ basil can be swapped for pesto and frozen spinach, defrosted, making the recipe more versatile. You could keep all of the ingredients easily on hand, keeping you ever-prepared for a brunch in a crunch!]
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 8 small red potatoes
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 large ham steak, finely chopped
- 4 extra-large eggs
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves, chopped or, 1 box, 10 ounces, defrosted frozen chopped spinach, wrung dry in a kitchen towel
- 10 leaves fresh basil, chopped or torn, a few rounded spoonfuls of prepared store bought pesto may be substituted
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, a couple of generous handfuls
Preheat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan of extra-virgin olive oil, about 2 tablespoons, and 2 tablespoons of butter. While the pan is getting hot and the butter is melting, cut the potatoes in half and then thinly slice them, add to the hot skillet and season with salt, pepper, thyme and the crushed red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring every now and then, for about 10 minutes or, until potatoes have browned and are tender. Add the onion and the ham and continue to cook for 3 to 4 minutes
Preheat another skillet over medium high heat with 2 tablespoons of butter. Once the butter has melted and the bubbles have subsided, crack extra-large eggs into the pan, season with salt and pepper and fry to desired doneness.
While the eggs are frying, finish off the hash by adding the roughly chopped spinach and basil to the potatoes. (Defrosted frozen spinach and some pesto would be added in at the same point if using substitutions.) Toss to wilt and warm the spinach. Sprinkle the hash with tomatoes and cheese and remove from the heat. Transfer the ham and spinach hash to plates. Top each portion with a single fried egg or arrange the fried eggs evenly over the platter.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.