A good friend of mine went to Israel and brought me back a delicious rub for meats. This is my attempt at replicating it. It works on anything and everything! Make extra and store in a cool, dry place for up to six months.
Israeli Spice Rub:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons (1 1/2 palmfuls) sweet paprika
- 1 1/2 tablespoons (1 1/2 palmfuls) ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon (1/3 palmful) dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon (1/3 palmful) ground coriander
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (medium to hot in spice level)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (1/2 palmful), coarse kosher salt
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (split, 8 pieces) 1 1/2 to 2 pounds
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Warm pita or flat bread, for passing
- Serving suggestions: Serve with tomato relish and zucchini (recipes follow). Piling the relish and the chicken in a warm pita is a fun way to combine the flavors and textures of the 2 recipes.
For the spice rub combine the paprika, cumin, oregano, coriander, crushed red pepper flakes, and kosher salt in a bowl. Place in a sealable jar, keep in a cool dry place for up to 6 months.
Grill chicken 6 or 7 minutes on each side or until juices run clear.
Orange and Yellow Tomato Relish:
- 3 vine ripe or small round red tomatoes
- 2 orange or yellow tomatoes
- 1 small sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup (2 handfuls) flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons (a couple of glugs) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 ripe lemon, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt
Seed and chop the tomatoes and combine with onion and parsley in a shallow bowl. Combine oil, lemon juice, and spices in a small plastic container with a lid. Shake dressing to combine and pour over salad. Season salad with kosher salt and toss to combine well. Let stand 10 minutes and serve.
Yield: 4 servings
Zucchini with Mint and Parsley:
- 4 small, tender zucchini, about 1 1/2 pounds (look in organic section of produce counter)
- 3 tablespoons (3 turns around the pan) extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup (half a bundle) chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves (a couple of handfuls)
- Kosher salt and pepper
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Cut zucchini into 1/4-inch slices. Add oil, garlic, and zucchini to pan and saute 7 to 8 minutes, turning occasionally with a firm shake of the skillet, until zucchini are just tender. Add mint, parsley, salt, and pepper, and cook 1 minute longer. Remove from heat and serve.
Yield: 4 servings