A California-Style, Chinese influenced Caesar salad -- the recipe is easier to understand than its title. Really, it is.
- 2 hearts romaine, chopped
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 lemon, halved
- 3/4 red bell pepper, remaining from above recipe for pizza, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 cups fresh sprouts, snow pea sprouts or bean sprouts, your choice
- Fried Chinese noodles: 1 cup thin fried noodles or 2 cups wide fried noodles
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon wasabi paste
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar or rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Arrange the romaine on a large serving platter. Halve avocado, cutting around the pit. Pop out pit and scoop the flesh out of skin with a large spoon. Slice avocado and sprinkle with juice of 1/2 lemon.
Cover the lettuce with a generous layer of sprouts. Top sprouts with avocado, chopped pepper, fried noodles.
Juice the remaining 1/2 lemon sitting cut side up. The juice will spill over the sides of the lemon and the seeds will remain in the lemon. Combine with the minced garlic, wasabi, mustard, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce. Whisk in oil in a slow stream. Drizzle dressing back and forth over the entire salad -- do not toss. Serve.