Lamb Chops and Early Spring Salad and Mashed Garlic-Mint Peas-n-Potatoes
- 2 1/2 pounds (3 large) russet or Idaho potatoes, peeled and cubed
- Coarse salt
- 2 small racks of lamb, cut into chops
- Ground black pepper
- 3 or 4 cloves garlic, cracked from skin
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley, 4 generous handfuls, divided
- 3/4 cup mint leaves, 3 generous handfuls, divided
- 1 bulb fennel, quartered, core removed and thinly sliced
- 6 radishes, thinly sliced
- 6 scallions, chopped
- 4 celery ribs from the heart with leafy greens, chopped
- 1 heart romaine, shredded
- 1 head radicchio, shredded
- 1/3 pound ricotta salata cheese, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 lemon, juiced (3 to 4 tablespoons)
- 1 heaping spoonful orange marmalade
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup hot milk
- 1/2 cup garlic and herb or black peppercorn flavored soft cheese (recommended: Boursin or Alouette brand)
Place potatoes in a pot, cover with water, bring to a boil and cook until tender in salted water, 15 minutes.
Preheat broiler to high.
Arrange the chops on a slotted broiler pan and season with salt and pepper on both sides.
Finely chop garlic with a handful each of the parsley and mint, then reserve.
Combine salad of fennel, coarsely chopped remaining mint and parsley leaves, radishes, scallions, celery, romaine, radichio and ricotta salata, in large bowl. Combine the lemon zest, lemon juice and marmalade. Whisk in the olive oil and pour dressing over salad. Toss and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
When potatoes are just about ready, broil lamb chops 2 minutes on each side for rare, up to 4 minutes on each side for well doneness.
Drain potatoes and transfer back to the hot pot to dry. Add peas, milk and soft cheese then mash to desired consistency. Add in reserved garlic and mint mixture and salt and pepper, to taste.
Serve chops alongside piles of salad and potatoes.
Alton's Breakfast Carrot Cake(00:03:17)
How to Make 'Whoopeeps'(00:02:18)
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay
Recipe courtesy of Nigella Lawson