Latin Chicken and Rice Pot
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken tenders, breasts or thighs, cut into bite size pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups white rice
- 3 cups chicken stock, available in paper boxes on the soup aisle of market
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 tablespoon (3 teaspoons) Sazon seasoning blend (recommended: Goya) with Mexican and Spanish foods in market
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 (2-ounce) box golden raisins, 1/4 cup
- Olive and Pepper Salsa:
- 1 cup Spanish olives with pimentos, drained and chopped
- 2 vine ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 small white skinned onion, chopped
- Several drops hot sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, a handful
- 1/2 lemon or lime, juiced
- Avocado and Garlic Sour Cream:
- 2 ripe avocados, pitted and spoon flesh from skins
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup sour cream
Preheat a medium pot over medium heat, add extra-virgin olive oil and butter. When butter melts into oil, add cut up chicken. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Stir and lightly brown the chicken, then add the rice and cook another 1 to 2 minutes. Add chicken stock, poultry seasoning, Sazon seasoning, tomato sauce and raisins. Bring the stock to a quick boil, 2 or 3 minutes. When the liquid boils, reduce heat to low and cook 13 to 15 minutes, until rice is tender but still a little chewy in the center.
While the rice and chicken are working, prepare the salsa. Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and adjust the salt and hot sauce, to taste. Next prepare the Avocado and Garlic Sour Cream by adding all ingredients to a food processor and processing until smooth. Adjust seasoning, then transfer to a small bowl.
Stir 1/2 cup of prepared Olive and Pepper Salsa to the chicken and rice mixture. Turn off heat and let stand 5 minutes.
Serve the prepared Latin rice and chicken in shallow bowls with spoonfuls of salsa and avocado cream to garnish. Serve any remaining salsa and sour cream with plantains and corn chips for dipping and scooping.
More Recipes and Ideas:
One Pot Chicken Dish over Cheesy Rice, Chicken Pot Pie with Cheese Straw Crust, Creamy Chicken and Mushroom One-Pot with Pot Pie Toppers, Orange Chicken Recipes, Baked Chicken Recipes, Chicken and Dumpling Recipes, Chicken Alfredo Recipes, Teriyaki Chicken Recipes, Chicken Chili Recipes