- 4 all-purpose potatoes, such as russets, peeled and cut into quarters
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into large pieces on a diagonal
- 3 ribs celery, cut into large pieces on an angle
- 1 large onion, cut into large chunks
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, eyeball it
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 pound chorizo, cut into 1 1/2 inch slices on an angle
- 4 pieces poached cooked chicken, leftover from potage, sliced on an angle into 1-inch strips
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Crusty Portuguese bread or other chewy, farm bread, for passing at the table
Place potatoes, carrots, celery and onion in a pot. Pour in wine, add sugar, salt, and oil. Add 2 cups of chicken broth. Cover pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
While vegetables cook, brown chorizo in a small nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
If your leftover chicken was frozen, defrost in microwave. If the leftovers were refrigerated, continue with recipe method as below.
Remove the cover from the vegetables and add chorizo to the vegetables. Stir in tomato sauce. Set cooked chicken into the pot and heat through, 5 minutes. Adjust seasoning. Ladle Portuguese Chicken into shallow bowls and garnish with parsley. Serve with crusty bread for dipping.