Portuguese Kale Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1/2 diced turnips
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1 bunch kale, stemmed and roughly chopped
- 6 ounces chopped chourico (spicy Portuguese sausage), or chorizo
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 6 cups beef stock
- 1 cup kidney beans
- 6 ounces diced tomatoes
- 10 ounces diced potatoes
In a large stock pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, onions, turnips and carrots and cook for 5 minutes. Add the kale, chourico, bay leaves, parsley and thyme and mix well. Add the beef stock, beans and tomatoes. Bring the soup to a boil, and then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes.
Remove the bay leaves and serve hot.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy of Gertrude's Gallery