Portuguese Kale Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1/2 diced turnips
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1 bunch kale, stemmed and roughly chopped
- 6 ounces chopped chourico (spicy Portuguese sausage), or chorizo
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 6 cups beef stock
- 1 cup kidney beans
- 6 ounces diced tomatoes
- 10 ounces diced potatoes
In a large stock pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, onions, turnips and carrots and cook for 5 minutes. Add the kale, chourico, bay leaves, parsley and thyme and mix well. Add the beef stock, beans and tomatoes. Bring the soup to a boil, and then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes.
Remove the bay leaves and serve hot.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy Gertrude's Gallery