Red Lentil Salad
- 1 cup red lentils or Le Puy French green lentils
- 1 large fresh bay leaf
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- Kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- One 1-inch piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 red chile pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon powdered mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- Handful fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 2 cups baby spinach, chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
Bring the lentils and bay leaf to a boil in 3 cups water, then reduce the heat and simmer until the water cooks away, 15 to 18 minutes. Skim any by-product away as the lentils cook.
Meanwhile, cover the potatoes with water in a small pot and bring to boil. Salt the water and boil for 5 minutes. Drain the potatoes and run under cold water to cool. Drain well and transfer to a large bowl.
Drain the lentils and run under cold water to cool. Drain well and add to the potatoes.
Add the spice mixture to the lentils and potatoes. Gently stir in the cilantro, spinach and lime juice. If the salad seems dry, add a little more oil. Serve.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.