- 1/2 pound lentils
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1 small onion, peeled and halved
- 4 large cloves garlic, grated or minced
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 fresh sausages, pork, chicken or lamb, hot or sweet
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, a generous handful, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Cover lentils by 2 inches with water, add bay and onion and bring to a boil. Boil lentils 20 to 22 minutes until just tender but with a little bite left to them.
In a shallow pasta bowl combine the garlic and about 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil and let stand 15 minutes.
Place sausages in a small pan and add 1/4-inch water and 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, a little drizzle. Bring water to a boil then reduce heat to medium-high. Let the water simmer away 8 minutes or so, then crisp the casings 3 to 4 minutes more.
Remove bay and onion from lentils. Toss hot lentils with garlic oil, parsley and salt and pepper. Serve with sausages on top.