Savory French Toast with Homemade Sausage Patties and Warm Honey, Strawberries and Basil
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup whole milk or cream
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, a couple of handfuls
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds ground pork
- 2 1/4 teaspoons ground sage or rubbed sage, half a palmful
- 2 1/4 teaspoons granulated onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated garlic, half a palmful
- 2 1/4 teaspoons fennel seed, half a palmful
- 3 pinches ground cloves or allspice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 slices thick cut good quality white bread
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups halved or sliced strawberries
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced or torn fresh basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Good quality honey of your favorite variety, for liberal drizzling
Preheat the griddle to medium.
In a medium bowl add the pork, sage, onion, garlic, fennel, cloves, lots of black pepper and salt, to taste, and mix to combine. Divide the mixture into 4 pieces and form each piece into 2 small patties, about 2 1/2-inches wide. Heat the extra-virgin olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add the patties and cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Turn off the heat and keep warm in the pan.
Wipe the hot griddle with butter nested in a paper towel. Soak the bread, a few slices at a time, in the milk mixture, shaking off the excess. Add the bread to the griddle and cook until toasted, crispy and golden, about 3 minutes on each side. Cook in batches, if necessary.
While the bread toasts, combine the strawberries, basil and sugar in a medium bowl.
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay