Savory French Toast with Homemade Sausage Patties and Warm Honey, Strawberries and Basil
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup whole milk or cream
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, a couple of handfuls
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds ground pork
- 2 1/4 teaspoons ground sage or rubbed sage, half a palmful
- 2 1/4 teaspoons granulated onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated garlic, half a palmful
- 2 1/4 teaspoons fennel seed, half a palmful
- 3 pinches ground cloves or allspice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 slices thick cut good quality white bread
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups halved or sliced strawberries
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced or torn fresh basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Good quality honey of your favorite variety, for liberal drizzling
Preheat the griddle to medium.
In a medium bowl add the pork, sage, onion, garlic, fennel, cloves, lots of black pepper and salt, to taste, and mix to combine. Divide the mixture into 4 pieces and form each piece into 2 small patties, about 2 1/2-inches wide. Heat the extra-virgin olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add the patties and cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Turn off the heat and keep warm in the pan.
Wipe the hot griddle with butter nested in a paper towel. Soak the bread, a few slices at a time, in the milk mixture, shaking off the excess. Add the bread to the griddle and cook until toasted, crispy and golden, about 3 minutes on each side. Cook in batches, if necessary.
While the bread toasts, combine the strawberries, basil and sugar in a medium bowl.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Mascarpone and Marmalade Stuffed French Toast, "French Toast" Napoleon with Maple Syrup, Pecans and Ice Cream, Chocolate Mascarpone Stuffed French Toast with Strawberry Syrup, Sausage Casserole Recipes, Easy Breakfast, Easy Pasta, Easy Lunch, Easy Slow Cooking, Coffee Cake Recipes