Sicilian-Style Sardine Pasta with Bread Crumbs
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
- 1/2 cups flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Coarse salt and coarse black pepper
- 2 tins sardines, 4 ounces each, drained, boned and chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound linguini, fresh or dried, your choice, cooked to al dente in salted water
To a large skillet preheated over medium heat, add 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, 4 turns of the pan, and chopped garlic. When the garlic speaks by sizzling in oil add bread crumbs. Stir bread crumbs until deeply golden in color. Add parsley and a liberal amount of salt and pepper, about 1 teaspoon of each. Transfer bread crumbs to a dish and reserve.
Return skillet to heat and add 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 3 turns of the pan. Add sardines and red pepper flakes to the pan and saute over medium heat 2 or 3 minutes. Add hot, cooked pasta to the skillet and toss with sardines. Add bread crumbs to the pot and toss thoroughly to combine and evenly distribute the mixture. Taste, to adjust seasonings, and serve.
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray
Recipe courtesy of Nikki Dinki