Sourdough French Toast with Orange Bourbon Butter and Spiced Pecans
- 2 loaves par-baked sourdough baguettes
- 4 eggs, beaten
- Melted butter, for brushing griddle, optional
- Orange Bourbon Butter, recipe follows
- Spiced Pecans, recipe follows
- Orange Bourbon Butter:
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted sweet butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon bourbon (recommended: Jack Daniels)
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- Spiced Pecans:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fennel seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground star anise
- 1/2 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces
- 1 egg white, beaten until foamy
Preheat a large nonstick griddle or large skillet over high heat.
Slice the bread on a diagonal into 1-inch slices. Thoroughly coat the bread with the beaten eggs, but do not soak the bread in the egg mixtureit will fall apart. Lightly brush the griddle with melted butter, if desired. Place the coated bread slices on the griddle. Cook over high heat until golden brown and cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Remove from the pan to warm plates. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon Orange Bourbon Butter and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons Spiced Pecans. Serve immediately.Orange Bourbon Butter:
Yield: 8 servingsSpiced Pecans:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a small bowl, mix the sugar and spices and set aside. In a medium bowl, mix the pecan pieces with the egg white until well coated. Add the sugar and spice blend to the pecans and toss together until well coated. Turn the nut mixture out onto a nonstick cookie sheet and bake until nuts are golden brown, about 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from the oven, let cool and then chop into small pieces.
Yield: 8 servings
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.