Spiced Stewed Zucchini
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan in a slow stream
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- Coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, eyeball it
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1/3 palm full
- 1 can chick peas, 14 ounces, drained
- 1 can diced tomatoes in juice, 14 ounces
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, a palm full, finely chopped
Heat a skillet over moderate heat. Go 1 turn of the pan with a slow stream of extra-virgin olive oil. Add crushed garlic and red pepper flakes to the pan. Saute garlic and red pepper flakes 1 or 2 minutes. Add zucchini and season with salt, cumin and chili powder. Saute, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes. Add chick peas, tomatoes and scallions to the pan and stir to combine. Cook over medium low heat for 10 minutes. Stir in cilantro and serve.
To reduce the heat level, omit the red pepper flakes from the recipe and method.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray