This sangria takes five to 10 minutes to assemble in a large pitcher. Take the time to prepare it in the morning so the sangria has several hours to develop its fruity flavor. Pull it out when dinner is ready to serve that evening.
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons (3 splashes) spiced dark rum
- 3 tablespoons orange liqueur
- 1 navel orange, sliced
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 2 ripe peaches, cut into wedges
- 3 ripe plums, cut into wedges
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 bottle Rioja
- Sparkling soda water, for topping off glasses of sangria at table
Combine sugar, rum, orange liqueur, fruits, and cinnamon sticks in a large pitcher. Cover with 1 bottle of wine and chill sangria several hours.
To serve, spoon fruits into glasses or goblets and pour over spiced wine. Top glasses of sangria off with a splash of soda water