Super Stuffed French Bread Pizza Rustica
- 1 (2 foot long) loaf French bread
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 package frozen chopped spinach defrosted and squeezed dry
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups part skim ricotta
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 pound sweet sopressata, from the deli, sliced thick, chopped
- 1/2 stick pepperoni, chopped
- 1 sack (10 ounces) shredded mozzarella
- 1 sack (10 ounces) shredded provolone
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Split bread lengthwise and hollow it out. Cut in half across, making 4 shells for pizzas.
Heat a skillet over medium high flame and brown sausage in extra-virgin olive oil. Brown and crumble sausage. Add red bell pepper, onion and garlic. Cook 3 to 5 minutes, add spinach. Remove mixture from heat and season with a pinch of salt and black pepper, to your taste.
Transfer to a bowl. Combine sausage and veggies with ricotta, Parmesan, sopressata and pepperoni. Fill bread shells and top with mounded mozzarella and provolone cheeses. Place in hot oven on cookie sheet and bake until cheese melts and bubbles and bread is super crisp, about 10 to 12 minutes. Top pizzas with oregano and hot pepper flakes. Serve immediately, or snack all night!
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay