Sweet and Savory Menu: Rosemary Corn Cakes with Prosciutto and Chicken Sausages with Hot and Sweet Peppers
- 2 packages chicken sausages, any flavors or brand, such as sun-dried tomato or garlic
- 2 cups water, eyeball it
- Extra-virgin olive oil, 2 tablespoons, 2 turns of the pan
- 2 large cubanelle peppers (long, Italian light green sweet peppers), seeded and thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 4 hot red cherry peppers, chopped
- A splash of hot pepper juice
- 1 box (8 1/2 ounces) corn muffin mix (recommended: Jiffy)
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 to 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 4 slices prosciutto, chopped
- 1/2 cup honey
Preheat a griddle or nonstick skillet over medium heat.
Prick sausages with a fork and place in a large skillet then add 1-inch of water to the pan. Add 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil to the pan then bring water up to a boil then reduce the heat to medium. Let the sausages cook until the liquid evaporates 10 minutes. Work on the corn cakes, see below. Move the sausages off to 1 side of the pan to allow the casings to crisp and brown. Add peppers to the other side of the pan, season with salt and pepper and let them cook until just tender. Add hot peppers to sweet peppers and combine and douse the pan with a splash of pepper juice, just before you serve them.
For the cakes, combine muffin mix with egg and 2 tablespoons of the butter heat it in the microwave on high for 15 seconds, with the milk, rosemary, chopped prosciutto and a few grinds of black pepper. Rub the griddle with remaining butter nested in a paper towel to lightly coat the cooking surface. Form 6 small cakes, 2 to 3 inches and cook cakes until golden on each side, then repeat with remaining mixture.
Serve sausages with peppers on top and the cakes alongsside drizzled with honey.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray