Thai Green Chile Stir Fry on Bed of Shredded Lettuce
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 jalapeno chilies, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 Fresno chile, chopped
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 -inch piece ginger, grated or minced
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- A handful fresh cilantro leaves
- A handful fresh mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/3 palmful
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander, 1/3 palmful
- 2 tablespoons tamari or 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 limes, juiced
- Kosher salt (if not using fish sauce)
- 2 tablespoons high-temperature cooking oil
- 1 1/2 pounds thinly sliced chicken
- 1 sweet red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 sweet yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large head iceberg lettuce, well chilled, cored, quartered, and very thinly shredded
Peel the tough outer layers of the lemongrass to expose the inner pale yellow layer. Trim 2-inches from the bottom, cutting away the bulb. Slice until the tops become tough. Add the pieces to a small pot over medium heat and add the stock and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a simmer and allow to reduce by half. Strain, reserving liquid.
Into a food processor add the cooked lemongrass, chilies, shallot, garlic, ginger, sugar, cilantro, mint, cumin, coriander, tamari, pepper, lime juice, and salt (if not using the fish sauce). Process into a paste.
Heat the oil in a wok or large saute pan over high heat; add the chicken and brown. Remove to a plate. Add a drizzle more oil and stir-fry the bell peppers and onions for 2 minutes. Stir in the paste for 1 minute, and then add the reserved liquid and stir. Return the chicken to the pan. Serve stir-fry on a bed of shredded lettuce.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.