The Last Course Sampler: Italian Cheeses, Sliced Fennel and Citrus Rings with Brandy
- 1/3 pound pecorino cheese, any sheep's milk cheese
- 1/3 pound Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/3 pound Gorgonzola
- 1 ripe red skinned pear, sliced
- 1 bulb fresh fennel, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound red grapes
- 2 or 3 navel oranges, skins cleaned and dried
- 1 Sicilian blood orange, skin cleaned and dried, optional
- 2 to 3 jiggers brandy
Arrange the 3 cheeses on a large board or platter. The pecorino may be sliced. The Parmigiano needs a small sharp cheese knife to crumble it. The Gorgonzola will need a spreader. Slice pear and set it along side the Gorgonzola for spreading. Arrange the grapes in small clusters around the cheeses. Arrange the fennel slices near the Parmigiano and pecorino cheeses. Slice whole oranges into disks and arrange them on a shallow dish. Douse the orange slices with brandy and serve with cheese course. Use 1 jigger of brandy for each sliced orange. To eat the oranges, rip the skin and "unroll" each slice. Easy. Delicious.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.