Turkey and Mushroom Creamy Tomato "Gravy" With Gnocchi
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, plus 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 pound white button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves finely chopped
- A couple sprigs thyme, leaves chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 pound chopped cooked turkey meat
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 pounds gnocchi
- A few grates nutmeg
- Grated Parmesan or Gruyere, for topping
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
Cook's Note: Stir in any leftover mushrooms from the roasted mushroom meal mid-week.
In a Dutch oven, heat the extra-virgin olive oil and 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, rosemary, thyme and bay leaf and cook until the mushrooms are lightly brown, about 7 to 8 minutes. Stir in the onions and garlic and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Raise the heat a bit and cook 5 minutes more. Stir in the tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and stock. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Add the turkey and heat until the mixture bubbles, then turn off heat and cool. Store in the refrigerator for a make-ahead meal.
Reheat the sauce, in a covered pot, over medium heat, then uncover the pot and stir in the cream. Simmer over low heat.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil over medium heat. Salt the water and add the gnocchi. Cook until they float, about 1 to 2 minutes.
Drain the gnocchi and them to the pot. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and season with a hint of freshly grated nutmeg. Serve in shallow bowls topped with lots of chunky, creamy sauce and some cheese.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray