- 1 quart chicken stock, available on soup aisle
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken tenders, 2 packages
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 6 white mushrooms, quartered
- 1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, 1/3 palm full
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Handful flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 package refrigerated biscuits in tube, found on dairy aisle
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Reserve 2 cups of stock for vegetables. Cut tenders into 1/3's. Bring remaining stock to a boil in skillet, add chicken, cover and reduce heat to simmer. Poach chicken 6 to 8 minutes.
While chicken cooks, in a second large skillet over medium to medium high heat, add oil and butter. To melted butter, add onion, carrots, celery, and mushrooms, adding veggies to the pan as you chop them. Add bay leaf and season veggies with thyme, salt and pepper. Saute 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add flour and cook another minute. Whisk in reserved 2 cups of stock forming a sauce around veggies. Stir in cooked chicken pieces, parsley and peas. Transfer the mixture to a large casserole, oval or rectangular. Open the biscuits and arrange them, edges touching, in a layer across the top of the casserole. Bake 8 to 10 minutes until biscuits are golden brown, then serve.