- 1 (5 to 6 pound) buffalo top round
- 1 cup rustic rub or seasoning blend
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 large Spanish onions, chopped
- 2 pasilla peppers, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 6 ribs celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped garlic
- 1 quart burgundy red wine
- 2 sprigs rosemary, leaves chopped
- 3 sprigs thyme, leaves chopped
- 2 large tomatoes chopped
- 3 quarts veal stock or beef broth
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil plus 1 teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 2 sprigs sage leaves removed
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 12 cloves roasted garlic
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons shallots
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Kirsch
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 1 cup Gruyere
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- Salt and fresh black pepper
- Small red bliss potatoes
For the pot roast: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Rub the roast with the rustic rub or seasoning blend, cover and let sit in the refrigerator overnight. Using a grill pan, sear all sides of the roast.
Heat a roasting pan. Add olive oil, Spanish onions, pasilla peppers, carrots, celery and then the garlic, last. Deglaze the roasting pan with the burgundy and add the roast. Add herbs, tomatoes, and veal stock. Cover and roast for 3 to 3 1/2 hours or until falling apart.
For the Sage Pesto: Lightly saute the chopped garlic in 1 teaspoon of oil. Put sage, basil, Pecorino Romano, pine nuts, chopped garlic and roasted garlic in a food processor or blender and slowly drizzle oil to desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and refrigerate.
For the Cherry Fondue: Heat butter and shallots in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add flour to create a roux. Add Kirsch, cream, cherries, cheese, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer to cook out flour. Season, to taste.
For the Potato Bones: Peel potatoes. Carve to look like osso bucco bones. Blanch potatoes for 3 to 4 minutes. Let cool. Fry for 4 to 5 minutes until golden. Stuff with buffalo, top with pesto and cherry fondue.
* Professional Recipe
This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.