- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 Granny Smith apples, cored and cut into small dice
- Powdered sugar, for dusting, optional
- Serving suggestions: breakfast sausage and bacon
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
Heat a couple of inches of vegetable oil in a heavy pot or Dutch oven over medium to medium-low heat until a deep-fry thermometer inserted in the oil registers 340 degrees F.
In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs with a fork, then add the milk, melted butter and vanilla. Gently fold the dry and wet ingredients together until just combined (do not over-mix). Fold in the apples, adding enough to make a very chunky batter.
Drop heaping tablespoons of batter into the hot oil, 6 to 8 at a time. Fry until golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove and drain on paper towels. Dust generously with powdered sugar and serve warm with sausage and bacon!
Recipe courtesy of Ree Drummond